Who We Are
Terms of Business
JOHANNES GUTENBERG AND HIS WORK
3. Gutenberg-Museum. Gutenberg-Museum, der Stadt Mainz. Weltmuseum der Druckkunst. München, Peter-Winkler-Verlag, 1966. Original quarter white cloth and tan paper boards. Lower edges rubbed, otherwise near fine in lightly worn dust jacket. 2. Auflage. Presentation slip of the Direktor pasted to the front free endpaper. 102 pp. Illustrations, some in color. (63452) $ 20.00
5. Lehmann-Haupt, Hellmut. Gutenberg and the Master of the Playing Cards. New Haven and London, Yale University Press, 1966. Original quarter black and red cloth. Fine, without dust jacket, as issued. First edition. 83 pp. Illustrated. Folded table in rear pocket. Argues that Gutenberg's dream included the reproduction of book illumination and ornamentation. Dickinson, Hellmut Lehmann-Haupt, a bibliography, p. 19. (61041) $ 45.00
6. Lehmann-Haupt, Hellmut. Gutenberg and the master of the playing cards / (Translated from the Gutenberg Yearbook 1962 by Dr. Hellmut Lehmann-Haupt). . Quarter cloth and decorated paper boards. Boards fading, otherwise very good. Reproduced from typescript. Title taken from head of text. In a note tipped to the verso of the title-page "This is a literal, not a literary translation of the article ' Gutenberg und der Meister der Spielkarten', in Gutenberg-Jahrbuch, 1962". 20 pp. The author's English translation of his work published in German. From Frederick Goff's library. (62402) $ 15.00
7. Lülfing, Hans. Johannes Gutenberg und das Buchwesen des 14. und 15. Jahrhunderts. Leipzig, VEB Fachbuchverlag . Blue paper boards. Minor staining along top edge with scattered foxing to boards, ink stamp on front free endpaper, otherwise very good. First edition.  pp. Illustrated. (61107) $ 25.00
8. Miner, Dorothy. The Giant Bible of Mainz: 500th anniversary, April fourth, Fourteen Fifty-two / April fourth, Nineteen Fifty-Two. [Washington, D. C.] Library of Congress [n.d.]. Original green wrappers. Fine. 31 pp. Illustrated. Distributed on the occasion of Christopher De Hamel's April 4, 2002 Library of Congress lecture on the Giant Bible of Mainz, celebrating the 50th anniversary of Lessing J. Rosenwald's gift of the Bible to the Library of Congress. (67408) $ 15.00
9. Morrison, Blake. The justification of Johann Gutenberg, a novel. [New York] William Morrow . Quarter brown paper and white paper boards. Lower corners lightly bumped, otherwise fine in fine dust jacket. First American edition. 259 pp. A novel woven around the life of Johann Gutenberg. (67412) $ 15.00
12. Poortenaar, Jan. Coster--niet Gutenberg. Naarden, Uitgeveij in den Toren, 1947. Original yellow cloth. Covers slightly bowed, front and rear pastedowns and endpapers browned, otherwise near fine, without dust jacket. First edition. 192 pp. Color frontispiece tipped in. Illustrated. A history of the claim that certain works associated with the name of Laurens Janzoon Coster preceded those of Gutenberg. (62548) $ 25.00
13. Presser, Helmut. Johannes Gutenberg, 1400-1468 / Printing transforms the world. Johannes Gutenberg 1400-1468 / Die Druckkunst verändert die Welt. [Stuttgart, Institute for Foreign Relations, n.d.]. Original white printed wrappers. Oblong format. Wrappers lightly darkened, with several small stains, otherwise near fine. First edition. 128 pp. Text in German and English in parallel columns. The plates in each section separately numbered. Originated with an exhibition. (66189) $ 20.00
14. Scholderer, Victor. Johann Gutenberg, the inventor of printing. London, British Museum, 1963. Illustrated white printed wrappers. Near fine. First edition. 32 pp., plus 18 plates, 4 in color. (64432) $ 20.00
15. Thorpe, James. The Gutenberg Bible, landmark in learning. San Marino, California, The Huntington Library, 1975. Illustrated white printed wrappers. Fine. 23 pp. Illustrated. Printed by Grant Dahlstrom, the Castle Press. (64631) $ 15.00
16. Widmann, Hans. "Gutenbergs Wirken--Versuch eines Umblicks" [Stuttgart, Anton Hiersemann, 1972]. Original rose printed wrappers. Lower corner bumped, otherwise very good. 47 pp. Reprint from Der Gegenwärtige Stand der Gutenberg-Forschung, edited by Hans Widmann. Inscribed by the author in pencil at the head of text. (64831) $ 15.00
17. Winship, George Parker. John Gutenberg, a lecture at the University of Pennsylvania delivered on February 14, 1940 by the Rosenbach Fellow in Bibliography. Chicago, The Lakeside Press, 1940. Original stiff marbled paper wrappers. Fine in glassine dust jacket. First edition. 38 pp. Of 900 copies, one of 150 copies for the Philobiblon Club of Philadelphia. Compliments card of the Club laid in, on the verso of which is a penciled note to "Dear Dr. Rosenbach" from W. H. L. A. (61958) $ 25.00
18. World Publishing Company. Celebrating the 500th anniversary of the first book printed from movable type by Johann Gutenberg in 1452. [Cleveland, Ohio, 1952]. Original white self-wrappers. Fine. Cover-title. Designed by Bruce Rogers. In a first day of issue stamped envelope. The stamp, Gutenberg Bible Stamp, designed by V. S. McClosky, Jr. and engraved by A. W. Dintaman, was issued in honor of the anniversary. (67215) $ 50.00
Return to Home
To place a secure shopping cart order, go to the SEARCH box in the left side-bar and enter the author or title.
send an email message to email@example.comAll items are offered subject to prior sale.
or phone 301/718-7911
Terms of business:
Postage starts at $3.50 for standard mail or $6.00 for Priority mail in the U.S.; otherwise postage is billed at cost.
Maryland residents are charged 6% sales tax.
Payment is by check with order or major credit card. Libraries are billed as required.
Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt if unsatisfactory for any reason. Please notify us before returning the book.
Trade is by mail order only.
Last modified: January 9, 2012
Please address comments or questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to HomePage